How to Get Rose Gold Hair with Henna
Thursday, 14 April 2022
One of the most popular hair colour trends in recent times has been rose gold. Pretty, feminine, and delicate.
You might assume, this isn’t possible using Henna, which is renowned for intensity and brightness over soft and transparent.
But, using the right techniques and understanding, this pretty, gentle colour can be yours.
PRO NOTE: It’s not possible to lighten hair with Henna – if your hair is very dark, you may need a pre-lightener and you shouldn’t use Henna after bleaching, so speak to your hairdresser first.
You don’t need to pre-pep for this colour – we’re going for the gentlest stain of colour, so too many applications will just intensify the result.
The Rose Gold Hair Recipe:
The mix for rose gold requires a magic ingredient alongside your henna: cassia. It’s that that imparts the pretty, golden tones alongside the pinks of Henna.
Mixing the powders with cooled (not hot) Chamomile tea to increase the golden tones further.
Wooden or Glass Mixing Bowl (never metal) and spoons
Beeswax hair wrap
3 parts Cassia Powder
1 part organic Henna
3 cups of chamomile tea (steep for at least an hour) and cooled
1 teaspoon of Amla for shine and fullness
1. Steep the tea, and leave for an hour – overnight for the best results
2. Put the powders into a mixing bowl and mix the brewed chamomile spoon by spoon until it reaches the consistency of yoghurt
3. The mixture should not drip from the spoon but look like a thick paste that can be easily spreadable
4. Cover with beeswax wrap, and let sit in the fridge overnight
5. Parting the hair into sections, brush, or comb henna into clean, dry hair.
6. Put a shower cap on and leave the henna mix on your hair for two hours. Rinse well, then if more intensity is required, reapply after 72 hours (to allow the Henna to oxidise).
It’s vital to do a strand test to see how long your hair needs to go the colour you want and to get the blend right. Our guide to ‘Things that can affect the result of your henna hair dye’ should help you.
If your hair is very dark this guide will give you pretty, pinky gold lights but it won’t change your hair colour.
For more advice on colouring your hair with organic henna, ask our hair colour experts now>